Masturbating and Fornicating
Dear Dr. Smith
I have been masturbating for ten years now and also fornicating. I really want to stop. I have tried several times to surrender my life to Jesus Christ but I keep going back to my old habit. Please help me because I want to change.
I am sorry to hear of your lustful practices, but no matter what, you must keep relying on God for help and strength. At the same time you must take control of your impulses, you cannot surrender them to Satan. With God, you have the inner strength to overcome. Fornicating and masturbating are not behaviors to play with, they are chronic psychological dysfunctions that have long lasting consequences. The fact that you have reached out to me tells me how much you are serious about changing this old habit. So here is the help I have to offer:
1. Destroy all pornographic material that you have.
2. Stop surfing the internet to satisfy your desire or curiosity.
3. End all female friends that you are having sexual relationships with.
4. Stop all texting or other social media contacts.
6. Put yourself under restriction and re-construction.
6. Start some exercise, spend more time in nature and if possible, get a male friend that can hold you accountable and avoid you falling back.
7. Fast and pray to God for strength to overcome, attend church regularly.
8. Start attending a baptismal class and make plans for re-baptism.
9. Read your Bible 3 times a day and when there is an urge to fornicate or masturbate.
10. Claim the precious promises in the Word of God, (Heb 13:5, Isa 41:10, Ps 51, 1John 1:9) are just some of the text that you should read over and over again.
11. If the behavior continues, get professional help.
It is good that you reached out to me, however, I don't want you to fall back into dysfunctional patterns of behavior after the guilt feelings pass. I want you to be very serious with your commitment and stick with the determination to repent and change.
Be assured that I will be praying for you. Stay strong. Tell yourself that you will, because by God's grace you can.
Have a great day of victory today.